While the hobby space is no where near being “set-up” (at least what I have envisioned in my head), I couldn’t not throw some paint around. Daredevil and Bullseye, as well as the concept 3D printed piece all got puttied and primed.
The Gargoyle also got a coat of glossy black in anticipation for a bronze and patina treatment!
Most of Sunday and today was spent trying to rid the gifted Mosquito for excess glue globs! In the end I decided stop and get some primer on it to see how bad it would look — not nearly as bad as I thought, but the primer did reveal more gaps that I had missed. I did lay-on a coat of chromate green to the wheel wells and cockpit.
Lastly, when my Father-in-law dropped off the Mosquito, he did talk about his days learning to fly in the Navy and how he tried to find a scale model of the plane he trained in back in ’64. I quick search on good old eBay and I found this vintage 1979 kit from Hasegawa:
I confirmed with the Mother-in-law that he flew training missions out of Kingsville, TX, which would have been with VT-21 or VT-22 squadrons; VT-21 using the same Orange paint scheme as the box art and VT-22 adding some extra stripes. The plan is to assemble and paint the plane in VT-21 colors (historical photographs showing some differences from the box art), put it on a crafted display stand and gift it back to the Father-in-law for his birthday or Christmas (their like a week apart)!
And that folks is is all she wrote!