- I started with chopping up an 1/8″ square styrene rod into 1/8″-ish lengths, this would have been much easier with a chopper, but I cut them by hand. (1/8″ = 4.5″ in 1/35th-scale)
- I used these blocks to build a fan sett, which I found a layout on the internet, printed it out and enlarged it until the cobblestone blocks matched the styrene bits. They where glued to a sheet of acetate and then a thin bit of balsa wood.
- I made two and made a silicone mold from them.
- I then poured multiple plaster casts. The first couple came out with most of the bricks in place, but as time when on, the thin bits between the bricks ripped away. (In hindsight, I would finish the styrene mock-up and cast a mold from that)
- I then glued a bunch of the setts together on top of a foam form, this allowed me to use a razors to cut the plaster to the form so it fit on the diorama wooden pedestal (in this case 3×5″)
- After that dried, I mixed up a 75/25 drywall speckle to water mix and brushed it over the whole thing, gave it 10-minutes or so to start setting up, and then used a stiff flat brush to push the excess spackle off the tops of the stone.
- After an over-night dry, I dry brushed the whole thing with Army Painter’s Dark Stone.
The nice thing about using cast plaster is that I could sand the final bits to fit, as well as knock down some the high stones and round off edges.